My new developement machine – Windows 7 SSD MacBook Pro

Last week, I bought my first new development machine in three years, and it’s a beast.

Early on I decided I wanted a laptop over a big desktop PC. Although laptops are usually more expensive, slower, have smaller screens, and fiddly keyboards, mobility is really important for me — I am planning to be working/travelling around Europe for forseeable future, and lugging a huge desktop everywhere isn’t really feasible. I want to travel light. But also it needs to be powerful enough to run all the heavy developer tools (Visual Studio, VMWare, SQL Server, Photoshop etc) I use every day.

Laptop – i7 MacBook Pro

My last laptop was a Mac (a Powerbook G4), and I was very happy with it — it lasted for five years before I moved to London and saw me through university, two jobs, three flats, and is basically where I learnt to program. So it should not be a surprise that last week, after months of waiting, I finally spec’d out a brand new 15″ i7 MacBook Pro from the Apple online store.

Why a Mac, when I’m primarily a .NET developer? Really, it comes down to these simple reasons:

1. In my opinion, MacBook Pros are, and always have been the best looking laptops on the market.
  2. They are fast (although still only dual-core).
  3. The build quality of Apple laptops is very high, and it will probably last a long time.
  4. It can happily run Windows.

Going with a MacBook Pro was pretty much a no brainer as far as I’m concerned. But that’s not the end of the story — there’s a lot more to see under the hood.

Solid State Disk (SSD) – 200GB OCZ Vertex LE

It’s long been known that SSDs are fantastic for developers — their ultra-low seek times and small read/write latency can make them several times faster at compiling code than their spinning counterparts. Not to mention it’ll make your PC boot in about ten seconds.

Now SSDs have been available with Macs for some time, but the Toshiba drives used aren’t known for their performance. For a long time I was planning to get an Intel X-25M instead — the long-standing value/performance king of the SSD market. That is, until I saw the absurdly-fast OCZ Vertex 2 Pro.

This thing eats all other SSDs alive. But sadly you will never be able to buy one, because a few months after this review, the entire Vertex 2 Pro product line was cancelled. It seems the cost of the super fast enterprise-grade Sandforce SF-1500 controller was not feasible for OCZ’s desired price range, so they canned it.

However, a small number (only 5,000 units) of SF-1500-based drives were made available to customers as the OCZ Vertex Limited Edition (LE), probably from some early shipment. And according to Anand’s benchmarks, they are actually even faster than the Vertex 2 Pro. So naturally, I had to get one.

The difference is astounding. Here’s a comparison of my XBench results, before and after the upgrade (Seagate Momentus 7200RPM vs OCZ Vertex LE, click for full results):

As you can see, random small (4K) reads and writes is where it really shines — no more waiting for spinning magnetic platters for me!

Memory – 8GB Apple

Historically, Apple’s RAM upgrades have always been notoriously expensive — it’s almost always cheaper to buy/install it yourself. Strangely at the moment, however, Apple’s prices aren’t too bad, so I decided to configure it with 8GB installed — partly for convenience, and partly to ensure my RAM sticks are matched (same specs/manufacturer).

Screen – 15″ Hi Res, Glossy LCD

I have to admit this decision was based entirely on aesthetics — the matte screen is easier to read, particularly in bright sunlight, but that silver bezel is so 2004 :)

The hi res screen is glorious too, but you will want to increase your font size a bit when coding (I always use 14 pt).

Operating System – dual boot Mac OS X/Windows 7 Professional

Although I love Mac OS X, .NET is my game, so I’ll probably be spending most of my time in Windows. This is my first Intel Mac (hey, it’s been a while…) so I’m quite new to the whole Bootcamp/Parallels/VMWare thing, but at this stage VMWare Fusion looks pretty good – being able to run my Bootcamp partition as a VM under Mac OS X seems like a nice solution.

Moshi Palmguard

I got a Moshi Palmguard because of my last Mac – a G4 Powerbook which suffered from ugly aluminum corrosion and pitting on the palm rests. Apparently aluminium pitting is still a problem for Macs today, so I wanted something to help protect it.

My Moshi Palmguard looks fantastic, and was dead easy to stick on — I found it easiest to align it with the cut-out at the bottom of the the track pad (where you open the lid). Just make sure there isn’t any dust or crumbs on the palm rests before sticking it on — you can’t reapply it once it’s attached. Also, I didn’t bother with the trackpad guard — the trackpad on a MacBook Pro is plastic, not metal, so it won’t corrode, and my Powerbook’s still looked fine after five years, so I didn’t see much point.

So that’s it — my proud new developer machine!

Final specs:

• 15″ MacBook Pro
  • MBP 15″ HR Glossy WS Display (upgraded from standard res)
  • Intel Core i7 M620 dual core 2.66GHz CPU
  • 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM (upgraded from 4GB)
  • 200GB OCZ Vertex LE SSD SF-1500 (upgraded from 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus)
  • SuperDrive 8X DVDRW/CDRW
May 29, 2010

Ryan Wentzel on May 29, 2010 at 1:00 am.

Sounds like a great machine. I’ve had my eye on a MacBook Pro for a while.

miles thompson on May 29, 2010 at 11:15 pm.

Snap.. Have just purchased a very similar machine for similar reasonss – but wish I had known about the Toshiba SSD drives before I ordered it with the standard SSD.

I actually spent some time trying to get the specs on the SSD drives in the MBP with absolutely know luck. The clueless folks at what passes for apple stores in Wellington (even supposed specialist places like MagnumMac) just told me to go ‘check the mod blogs’ but in all my googling i couldn’t get any actual stats on the dang things. Where did you find that info?

I almost bought the i7 / 15″ – it wasn’t price that held me back (not at that point;-) – but the reviews that the i7 in 15 inch case can get really overly hot. I’ve noticed that even my i5 gets pretty hot under neath… so I’d be interested to hear your experiences.

FWIW I went with bootcamp for the dual boot but yet to really see how that works out.
Best of luck!

miles Thompson on May 29, 2010 at 11:35 pm.

do’h not that you care but i meant to say Parallels (as well as bootcamp) in the above.. i *hope* i’ll be able to see the same windows partition i boot to from parallels as well as booting via bootcamp anyway TMI

Richard on May 31, 2010 at 10:59 pm.

Miles: yeah I did a lot of research before taking the plunge – Mac Rumors forums are great for that sort of info. SSD info is here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=897874

ThaBrad on November 18, 2010 at 7:51 pm.

NOPE…… the Trackpad is not plastic ist glass!!!

just take a metal pencil and press it on……… It will defenitely split!!! ;)

melaos on June 15, 2012 at 2:59 am.

hi there,

love the fact that you posted all your setup and hardware spec here..
but i’m waiting to see what did you think about it after start using it?

do you notice a severe battery drop after running VM?

or did you finally move to using boot camp?

thanks

Richard on June 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm.

@Melaos: great question – it’s now two years since I got it and and I’m still loving it – I have a much newer dual Xeon box at work and my SSD MacBook Pro still runs circles around it.

I used Bootcamp right from the start – I never tried Parallels or VMWare because I new I would be spending 99% of my time in Windows anyway, so why not just boot completely into it.

Steve on July 20, 2012 at 5:50 pm.

If I may, i set up both parallels and vmware fusion, both are at ok at best(vmware my pref), and my last move before ditching this mac is to try boot camp. I have been hating this thing and thinking it was a huge waste of money. I did not get an ssd for it yet though. I find the response not so great, things just lock up and crash, and windows seems to really suck, and vs 2010 and 2012 are not much better. I am the same deal as you, a .net dev primarily. What do you think of the boot camp set up? Anything you have not liked? My rig here has got 16 gigs ram and it seems fine, but running in these vm’s is just ok. Many times I wish I brought my windows machine with me, I am in an eastern european country for a while and pretty much stuck.

Richard on July 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm.

@Steve: mine has been fine. Windows 7 with all the patches and updates loaded?

steve on July 23, 2012 at 12:22 am.

Richard, yes all patches, whatever needs to be done I have done it. I think its more the vm ware stuff than anything. I may boot camp this as my last chance before selling this and just sticking to windows boxes. I bought this to do phone dev, but its turning out that more companies are doing hybrid stuff, where the app itself is just a small app with browser in it anyway. At least in the us that’s what being done. How about over here in uk/europe? I am over here for a while and not looking to go back to the states anytime soon, hows work for this stuff?

Richard on July 23, 2012 at 7:56 am.

@Steve: not sure about iPhone dev, plenty of .NET work here though :)

steve on July 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm.

Richard,

You talking uk or europe in general? I have been hacking at this for a long time now, over 10 yrs. I am not looking for work, just curious as to whats out there. In the states, .net seems to be in demand, but I look for tele commutes for the most part.

Richard on July 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm.

@Steve: just London. Working on site… don’t know too much about telecommuting sorry.

Alan on September 5, 2012 at 10:37 am.

HI, folks,
I’d got a problem for ‘parallel-run’ the 64bits windows 7 within mountain lion after my macbookpro armed with SSD….. though the dual boot is fine, that’s very frustrated that there’s no problem by using the original stuff (mechanical HDD)